What is Linking Generations?
Linking Generations at BYU does online service for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and other family history-related organizations. We focus on the following projects:
- FamilySearch Indexing (familysearch.org/getinvolved)
- Family Tree record linking in conjunction with the BYU Record Linking Lab (record-linking-lab.byu.edu/volunteer)
- Reverse Indexing (record-linking-lab.byu.edu/volunteer)
- Personal genealogy aid in conjunction with the BYU Library Family History Center (Winter 2024 Stories and Services sessions schedule: https://familyhistory.lib.byu.edu/family-history-stories-service-sessions)
- Interview the elderly and record their life stories. Please contact the program directors for more information (see the Contact Info page.)
How do I get involved?
There are two ways to get involved:
You are welcome to join us at any of our weekly meetings on Tuesdays from 5 to 6 pm at the Y-Serve office (2330 WSC).
We are also looking for volunteers to participate in a multigenerational program that pairs socially isolated older adults with students for weekly enriching conversations. Volunteers will record the older adults' life stories during the conversations and help publish a booklet for the older adult.
Most of our volunteers attend once a week or once every other week as their time permits. We are be accepting service hours that you give outside of our Tuesday meetings, as long as you are working on one of our current projects and began to do so with the intent of serving with Y-Serve.
Students will be matched with an older adult. Pairs will connect weekly for 8-10 weeks. All connections will be virtual via phone or computer.
For option 1, no Y-Serve training required to get involved. For option 2, there is a 1-hour training session. For more information, email us at email@example.com, or contact Suzana Pinheiro at (385) 400-5957.
It was cool being able to work with the Church and plan an event to learn about indexing in different languages. We also worked with faculty to get information out about the event. I also really loved working together with other volunteers to finish a project the Church has given us (transcribing a newspaper). Service is great! Those were fun events, but my favorite thing is the dedicated, kind, charitable volunteers who bring their happy faces each week! They sacrifice and it strengthens me!