What is Foster Love?
Foster Love is a program that connects foster care children in the community with one another to help build friendships and strengthen social skills. This program is open to foster care children as well as the biological/adopted children of the foster family. It is an after-school program that will take place in the Wilkinson Center and other areas around BYU campus. Activities will include indoor group games, crafts, team building activities, outdoor games, field trips to the MOA and the Bean Museum, and other recreational activities. Foster Love meets on Wednesdays from 3:45-5:30 p.m.
How do I get involved?
Follow the steps under 'Training' to start the process of getting involved!
For each of the following forms, you will need to print and sign it. We cannot accept electronic signatures. You may deliver it to the Y-Serve office (2330 WSC), mail it to the address on the form, or scan the form/take a picture of it and email it back to us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. Parents or Legal Guardians are responsible for bringing the children and picking them up at a designated time (4:00-5:30 pm) and location at BYU where the volunteers will be (Wilkinson Center round about off of 900 E).
We ask that our student volunteers commit to helping twice a month (approximately 3-4 hours/month).
BYU STUDENT VOLUNTEERS—
1. Register as a volunteer by filling out this Google form
2. You will need to fill out a BYU Background check by clicking here before volunteering.
3. Because you are working with children, you will also need to complete an online training in Child Protection through BYU’s Y-Train. Here is the link to the training module. It should only take 20 minutes. Once you receive the certificate of completion by email, please forward it to email@example.com .
4. Once steps 1-3 are finished, please come by the Y-Serve office (across from the Cougareat) during one of the program director's office hours for a quick, 15-minute in-person training. Then you are ready to volunteer!
Foster Love volunteers meet at the Y-Serve office at 3:45pm on Wednesdays.
Foster Love has honestly made the difference in my semester. Being able to dedicate just 2 hours a week to kids who benefit me more than I think I could ever help them with their sunshine and innocence was what I needed to get through my first semester of college. The other volunteers became my friends and I always looked forward to coming and regretted when I couldn’t. I loved every minute of it!